12/08/2011

Media Graduates


So after finishing University I was under the impression that finding a job wouldn’t be as hard as it has turned out to be, call it pre-uni naivety but I honestly didn’t think it would be as hard as it is.

Now like most graduates I’ve applied for nearly every job I’ve seen, as I check the job website’s on a daily basis. Now the responses that I’ve received from the places that I’ve applied for pretty much all say the same thing, and that is you aren’t experienced enough.

Now here is where it gets annoying, as a media graduate the only way I can get a job is by having experience and the only way I can gain experience is by having a job, so basically like most media graduates I’m stuck in a catch 22 situation. However there is interning.

Now interning all sounds good because it looks good on your CV and you get to gain experience, but just think about it, if you take part in a one year internship which will most likely be unpaid because the majority of them are, then you helping the company that you're interning at for free, so they get away with not having to employ an extra person.

Now I don’t seem to think this is fair, because people seem to think it is fine to make people intern for free in the media or fashion worlds, but you wouldn’t expect a nursing graduate to work unpaid for a whole year so that they can gain the experience would you?

Now I know students who study nursing take part in placements whilst at University, but I also took part in a work placement, and I’ve done other work placements outside of University, and all the assignments that I did must count for something right?

It just seems really unfair, especially when about 80% of internships are in London. So that would mean working in London unpaid and holding down another job in order to stay alive, so basically unless you already live in London or your parents have money then you are screwed.

Now I’m aware this just sounds like a huge rant but it is something that genuinely frustrates me, how people want you to work for free to help you gain experience, when in actual fact it is just so they can get around actually paying someone to do the same job, therefore saving themselves money!

How wonderful :/

No comments:

Post a Comment