04/10/2012

The Valleys ... It isn't actually like that you know



Unless you've been living under a rock or the middle of a forest for the last few years then you've definitely heard of the abundance of so called reality television series that have been hitting the headlines, from The Only Way is Essex to Geordie and Jersey Shore its been pretty hard to avoid these headline grabbing shows.

Last week yet another of these shows burst onto our screens in the shape of the MTV show The Valleys, and all I can say is that I was shocked and disgusted by what I saw on my screen.

As someone who comes from the valleys of South Wales I sat and watched in horror as a group of fame hungry wannabes sauntered their way onto the screen declaring that they were going to be the next big thing.

Like I said, as someone who comes from the valleys I just wanted to point out that we aren't all like that, some of us are trying to forge a career the hard way by making our way up from the bottom and not sticking dead fish down our swimsuits or a dead octopus on our heads.

There were a few other points about the show that really got to me, firstly most of them aren't from the valleys, if what I've read is true then some of them live about a 10 minute train journey away from Cardiff. Secondly the way that MTV has tried to make out that coming from the valleys means that you live amongst the sheep is a far cry from what it is really like. Fair enough there are sheep but getting to Cardiff isn't the long slog they've tried to make it out to be, there are regular buses and trains (we aren't from the dark ages.)

Also when the "stars" of the show made absolute fools of themselves in a Cardiff night club it really annoyed me, due to the fact that i was once denied entry to the same place for being "too drunk" despite the fact I hadn't really drunk much (but that's probably just a very personal annoyance.)

The fact that this group of people believe that by moving to Cardiff is going to kick start their media or modelling careers is also an absolute joke. The closest you're going to get to the paparazzi in Cardiff is someone capturing a load of drunken people spilling out of a nightclub or munching a kebab down chippy alley on their mobile phone.

Overall it appears that MTV are making a joke out the valleys and using these poor deluded souls as fodder for their latest reality show. After seeing it I now take back anything I've ever said about the other similar shows on TV, as it is clear they just pick a group of people that they can take advantage of.

The second episode is currently sat recorded on my Sky box and I'm debating whether to watch it as I fear I may get too angry and shout at the TV, which is never good. The show almost makes me feel like denying the fact I come from the valleys as I may be tarnished with the same brush as these people, which really drives me insane.

All I can say is that the valleys aren't really like that and all MTV has done is select a few people that will clearly act up to the camera and give them some decent ratings. But then again we may have found the new Beyonce so it's all good (is say this with utmost sarcasm.)

No comments:

Post a Comment